Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hours of distress

So we had to take our little treasure to the hospital the day before yesterday, he just wouldn't stop crying. Well he did for short periods, but I've never seen him distressed like that. It was obvious that he was in pain and, after 30 minutes of that, B and I were crying too.
I had to take him in alone, cause it was laundry day here, and all our clothes were in the laundry room.

It took a while before we could see the doctor. There were just more severe cases that had to get higher priority. The nurse gave little Peeper painkillers and as soon as they started to have effect he fell asleep. But he kept waking up and crying and then when the pain subsided he fell out again. He cried, and fell asleep... Cried, and fell asleep...

Time moved so incredibly slow. It was like the seconds were stretching out somehow and, every single one of them felt like an hour at least. I remember the same feeling when I was waiting in the E R when Alex had pneumonia. If I believed in such a place as a hell, I' would be convinced that is how time moves there.

When we finally got to see the doctor, she couldn't find anything wrong with our little miracle, except that his belly was a bit bloded, but that, along with the way that he was crying, lead her to suspect Ileus, Intestinal obstruction .
So off we went to another E R, the one for X-rays this time.

We didn't have to wait that long over there though. Only 20 minutes or so. After an abdominal xray, they decided that they wanted to do a barium enemas as well.

Peeper was such a brave little truper the whole time. It amazes me how he, who lets the whole world know that he's mad if we put him down when he wants to be up, or if we hold him a certain way when he wants to be held the other, can endure laying naked in a cold room for several minutes, while they put him first this way and, then the other, to take pictures of his insides without so much as a peep.

It was the same for the next procedure, which was even worse, cause they had to put a little catheter up his butt to enable the liquid containing barium sulfate to flow into his intestine. Other than that he kept trying to push it out again, he layed there as if it was his every day routine.

Eventually he even fell asleep, but they said that sometimes, if there's an ubstruction, the liquid makes it feel better. Just letting the barium flow through the intestines can actually help remmody the problem.
They're not sure if that's what happened, cause they couldn't find anything. Though they said that it's hard to tell with these little ones.

They kept us over night for observation, and gave him painkillers. He slept all night, except of course for waking up to eat once every 2 hours or so. At least they said that eating that often is quite normal if one is breast feeding. But at the same time they said that his pain may have been due to eating too much, since he gained 200 Grams over night. I'm wondering if that could be that he still had a lot of that barium left in his intestines though, cause there's been a lot more than usual in his diaper.

Personally I'm convinced that the barium helped, cause he's a happy little baby now and, barely cries at all.

He even allowed B to hold him and, seemed quite happy about it too. It's been a while since that was possible. Personally I think it's way too early for him to be watching tv, but his dad is of the opinion that a couple of minutes of "Beauty and the beast" never hurt anyone and, I have to admit that they're awfully cute watching it together.

No comments: