Sunday, December 11, 2011

Finally over and done with



Little squeaker's christening took place yesterday and, "finally over and done with" pretty much sums up how I feel about it all.

Not that it wasn't beautiful and, not that I didn't appreciate that so many people made it, but dealing with all the preparations right as Squeaker's being miserable from getting a new tooth, sleeps even less than usual and, mostly wants to be carried around all the time, preferably by no one other than his mommy, has had me so stressed out I could have a nervous breakdown at any given moment.

Next time we'll have the reception...Anywhere but in our home and, catering instead of everything being home made...

But knowing myself that's very likely to be an empty threat. I will probably do all the baking next time as well. If there is a next time...

But right now I don't ever wanna do it again. I feel about ready to cancel the next baptism ahead of time, before we even have another baby on the way...

On top of all the stress from shopping, baking, cleaning and, practicing the song that Alex was gonna sing in church it was also an ordeal to get figured out who would get the honor of being godfather.

My sister was gonna be godmother, that's been decided from the start and, traditionally her fiancé would then be the godfather, but she recently told me that they are not going to baptize their future children, since he is an atheist and very much against it.

My sister doesn't believe either, but at first she wanted to do it for traditional reasons. But then they decided that if they're lucky enough to have children, they will gather friends and family, fill a bowl with champagne, announce the baby's name while putting his or her feet in the bowl and, then everybody will get a glass of the champagne and, drink to the little one's happiness in life.

Apparently that's the french way and, i think it's a great idea if one wants to have a name giving ceremony without the christian element added to it.

Anyway, since I learned that he's so against it, I didn't wanna ask him to be our little Peeper's godfather, cause I obviously didn't think he'd want to.

I asked T instead, but in the end he got the dates confused and, he wouldn't have been able to anyway, cause he had to work...

So then I thought that it'd be nice if Alex could do it, but... He wasn't allowed, cause you have to be confirmed in the Swedish church and, he doesn't want to take instructions in the christian faith.

I personally think that it'd be good for him, if for no other reason than that one should know what one's saying "yes" or "no" to. But I'm not gonna make him. It has to be his choice.

So, there we were and, it was time for the baptism and, there was nobody else who I wanted as godfather for our little one. I'd like either one of my 3 younger brothers, but I know that it'd be misconstrued and turned into that I was showing favoritism.'

So...With like 2 minutes to go my sister suggested that her fiance would be the godfather, cause it makes sense for them to be godparents together and, I was more than happy to accept.

At least we finally got that figured out at an otherwise totally chaotic day...

Well up until the christening that is... The reception didn't include any major disasters. I even had time to socialize a bit, which usually is impossible when one is responsible for something like that.

I was glad to see everyone again. It's been a long time since so many of us were gathered in the same place at the same time. At least it all ended with everybody having a good time, which is something to be thankful for after such a dreadful beginning...

Truth is, most of our guests almost missed the christening cause they couldn't find the church, but the worst of it all is, that so did we...

Buses are generally pretty reliable around here, but of course, out of all days of the´ year, they had to pick that day to change the buss schedule and, take out the buss we were suppose to catch to get over to the church on time.

We did of course not notice this until it was too late to do anything about it, so we had to catch a ride with my mom, who by the way was driving a car that she's not suppose to drive, cause it doesn't have the correct adjustments for her disability.

Also, B and my brother couldn't figure out how to fold up the stroller, so in the end they had to put it in the car in a way that meant that Alex couldn't wear his seat belt.

It's just a 10 minute ride, but 10 minutes gives you plenty of time to see pictures of car accidents in your mind..., Particularly accidents where you survive your children cause they weren't safely buckled in the car...

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I would honestly rather have taken a cab.

My mom use to be a good driver, but with all the medication she's on now I'm not so sure. I understand that drugs work in a different manor when you have to take them to ease severe pain and, her doctor would of course not say that she was capable of driving if she wasn't. But it has to effect her reflexes, there's no way around that and, I can't help but worry Now that she's also driving a car that may be too difficult for her to master.

A cab driver wouldn't have let me bring a baby without a portable car seat however, which I by the way think is totally correct. Nobody should ride in a car without a seat belt on, ever...

It would have been better to reschedule the christening than to have anything happen to my kids and, I wish that I had just said no. Who cares about what people will think, or how they will talk, as long as your children are safe and sound.

I will never allow this to happen again. I'm gonna go buy a freaking car seat as soon as possible. Even if we never use it, it'll still be a good investment, cause then at least I know that we can never get into a situation like this again...

No comments: