Tuesday, June 21, 2011

27 days of happyness

Our little miracle is here!

3100 grams and 49 cm today.

He's got 3 beautiful names, but he makes the cutest little peeping sound you could possibly imagine, so on here, I think we'll be going with little Peeper for now. I'm sure there'll be other suitable nicknames along the way.



Which means that he has gained 200 Grams since last week.



Actually the c-section was planned for today, but he's been with us for 27 days already, as he was in a little bit of a hurry to join us.


We had to stay in the hospital until he got strong enough to eat. They released us on the 9th this month, but I just haven't had the time to write, since this little one wants to eat every other hour. He's so very little still that I figure I'll just let him eat when ever he wants to. Routine can come later.



He wasn't small for his age, but he dropped to 2320 grams before it finally turned around and he started to gain weight again.



They let us go home on sunday the6 of june and, he was up to 2460 grams that day. 2 days later they came to our house to weigh him, and he had gained 110 grams in that time. Before that it had been a slow climb on the scale with 40 grams every other day, but it was the same with Alex when we got to take him home. It's just better for everybody to be in a relaxed environment.

They made a mistake when they released him, cause the doctor was suppose to do a final physical before we left, but there was some kind of misunderstanding, so he thought it had been done already. But instead of making us come back in, they had the doctor come to our house and examine him. Being blind's got it's advantages some times, cause I doubt that they would have done that for just anybody.

Normally I would have said no, but as it was I really apriciated not having to go back in right away. Though we had to go to the audiologist that thursday anyway, for a second hearing test, which he by the way failed as well, so I guess it really didn't matter...

I try not to worry about the test though. They say that it's very likely that it's because he's premature and he's ear canals aren't big enough for the test to work properly.

All in all it has been a wonderful experience.

Not just finally getting to hold this little miracle in my arms, but everything, even the c-section, which really wasn't anything to worry about at all. The only scary part was that my blood pressure decided to drop during the procedure, but all that really happened was that I thought I was gonna pass out there for a couple of minutes. I never did though and, they got it under control pretty quickly.

I was awake during the whole thing and, B was write there with me the whole time. Well at least until they had let both of us feel him.

They never put him on my chest though. I was kind of puzzled at that, but I never got around to asking them why. They let Brandon feel him first and then they held him so that I could touch him too. They didn't tell us what sex he was, but waited for us to figure it out. Some kind of policy they've got I think, cause it was the same when I had Alex.

After that Brandon went with them while they put him in an incubator and took himover to the premature department. He had a bit of fluid in his lungs, so he was in a c-pap for about 10 minutes, but when I got there he was already better and, didn't need it any more. He had a little bit of trouble and, was making a kind of crying noise every time he was exhaling, but everything was normal after just a few hours.

He didn't need the incubator either, just a water matris with heat, to help him stay warm and, a tube for feeding, since he was to week to eat very much on his own. He's almost never in his bed though, I just let him sleep in my arms.



That closeness is so very important for these little ones and, I don't wanna put him down for a minute anyway. Sometimes I feel like I don't even let B hold him enough, cause it's so hard for me to let him go, but he gets the chance every once in a while at least.



But I suppose I should take it from the beginning here.

My water broke around 10 or so, but I wasn't even entirely sure if that was it at first. B called me from school, he always did around that time, when he was on a break. I almost didn't even tell him about it, cause for the most part, as long as I didn't move around a lot, it was just like a slow dripping.

B came home as soon as he could and, I called the hospital and they said that if it wasn't for that I was scheduled for a c-section already, they'd make me wait until the contractions got worse, but as it was I should come in, but I didn't need to hurry. So then I had B go get a bottle and, some formula, just in case they wouldn't provide us with that, which turned out to be silly, cause now I'm brestfeeding after all. How could I not, when he was so little and needed every bit of strength I could provide him with.

I haven't regreted it for one minute, except sometimes when it's really obvious that B feels left out.

I had to pump a lot in the beginning, since he was to weak to eat very much at a time. I'm not having any problems at all though, it doesn't hurt and, I've got plenty of milk and, I just wish I would have been smart enough to try it with Alex, instead of listening to Helene and Gittan, who both told me that it was painful and, really only made you feel very insecure, since you couldn't tell if the baby was eating enough, Plus you'd have to do all the work while your partner was snoring away. i guess it probably wouldn't have worked back then, cause I could never have survived quitting the medicin. But I still wish things could have been different.

That part about snoring away has turned out to be true, it is almost impossible to wake B up at night, so I definitely do more, but I don't mind that much now that he's spending more time with us during the day. Even if he just sits here with me when I'm feeding our little one, it makes him a part of it and, that is very important. I'm gonna try to use the pump more, so that he can feed him too.

Anyway, I think I went back a bit too far now, as that was way before..


It was around 1:30 pm when we got to the hospital, we waited for a little while and then they hooked me up to a monitar and, the baby was doing just fine.

There was someone else ahead of me who wouldn't be able to wait, so They gave me a shot to stop the contractions. I figured it'd be a couple of hours at least and, it seemed like the midwife thought so as well, cause she went and got B something to eat and everything. I was pretty hungry by then too, cause me and B had gotten in to this routine where we'd go get something from the bakery when he got back from school, lunch for him, but breakfast for me, but knowing that I had a c-section in a not too distant future I of course had to pass, so no food for me since dinner the night before. I told them I had eaten at 8 that morning though. I knew it'd be enough for them to hook me up to the IV, but not enough for them to freak out.

Anyway, as soon as B had gotten his food, the doctor came back and told us that since the contractions hadn't stopped we could go down to the operating room right away, they were ready and waiting for us. Honestly my contractions were no worse than they had been for the last 3 months or so, but who was I to argue...

Actually we had our last cervical scan that monday and, it looked just fine according to the doctor. It was the wierd one who wouldn't show me where things were if you remember, but she behaved quite differently this last time and, I didn't have any problems with her at all. I asked her about being awake or not during the c-section and she said that the other doctor had it backwards and, that it'd be better for the baby if I was awake, since it might take longer to open up the uterus due to scar tissue and such .

It didn't seem like it took very long though and, there were no scary noises. Mostly just a pulling sensation. He was crying before they had even gotten him out completely. We were crying too. It's probably the first time in my life that I've cried for joy. I never did when Alex was born, cause he wasn't brieving, so there wasn't any time to be happy just then, I was just so worried.

so much has changed since Alex had to stay in the premature department, almost 14 years ago. Back then you were allowed to visit as often as you wanted, but that's still all it was, a visit. Now they provide rooms over there so that you can stay with your baby. Not just the moms either, but B too and, even Alex could stay as well.

Our little miracle was born on wednesday the 25 of mei and, the first to days were a little bit stressful. It didn't feel like B got to be with us very much at all during that time. It shouldn't have been like that, cause They had an extra bed for him in my room, so he could just have stayed with me and enjoyed the first time with our new little treasure. Thursday however,he had to take Alex to the eye doctor, which didn't do a lot of good, cause they were just very rude over there and refused to speak english. One of them pretty much questioned what the hell he was doing there, although not in those words. I reckon I can have my fiancé go with my son to an appointment without me when he's been living with us for 3 years, but apparently she didn't think so.

The next night he had to stay home with Alexander. he had been staying with a friends mom the night before and, when it took to long before they heard from us she tried to call the hospital, which was both good and bad, cause without that I wouldn't have been able to get a hold of Alex at all, since ´he hadn't been charging his cell as usual.I didn't get her message until 11 o.clock though and, she said that she had called around 8, so somebody screwed up somewhere. Anyway, I almost couldn't get her to quit talking long enough to put Alex on the phone and, it was obvious that she was drunk. I didn't want him to stay over there after that of course, but I couldn't get a hold of B. He was busy telling Foxworth about Joshua, so all I got was the voicemail. I guess even if I had been able to get a hold of him, we wouldn't have been able to tell Alex to go home, cause he still didn't put his phone on the charger, even though I told him to, so there was no way to let him know anyway. Not that she's bad when she's drunk, she's actually very nice, it's just that I don't want someone who's intoxicated to be responsable for my kids.

I stayed with little peeper until 2 that morning. I didn't want him to be lonely. I couldn't sleep when i got back to my room anyway, I just felt so alone for some reason. I almost had them take me back to him, but in the end I decided to try to rest for a bit and, I slept off and on until 6 or so.

B and Alex came over around 1 and they had gotten the cutest little sailor outfit for this little rainbow of ours. It's the regular size for newborns, but it is way too big for him.



Actually, it's just now getting to fit him and, he's almost 4 weeks now.

For the most part, the change has come easily, though it's a bit more difficult for B than for me. We're both super sensitive however, like that time when B started telling me what bus they were gonna take home and such as soon as he got to the hospital and, it turned out that they weren't gonna stay very long, so I snapped at him for starting to talk about leaving as soon as he got in the dore. That's just the way he is though, he's always planning everything out in detail, but it just made me feel like he didn't wanna be there, but when he realised that's what i was thinking, it made him cry.

Things got better the next day as soon as they got us a room where all of us could stay though. Even though it was a little bit hard to stay in such a small space for 9 days, it wasn't half as difficult as I thought it would be. I was a little bit worried that little peeper would wake Alex up during the night, but for the most part neither him nor B even stirred even though the nurses brought food in every 3 hours.

He's so good though, Most of the time he just makes those little peeping noises... Like a little kitten.... he almost never cries AND, HE'S PERFECT IN EVERY WAY YOU CAN IMAGINE. We're so lucky, so incredibly lucky.

No comments: