I know, I know, we were going to wait until he turns 6 months and, that's another 5 weeks still...
But he is hungry...
He wants to eat about a hundrad times in a 24 hour period. That's no problem, I'm use to that by now, but he has started this new thing, where he's turning every nursing session into either a "lets practice my hunting skills" session, or a "I'm gonna go into wrestling when I grow up, so come on boob, lets have a match" session.
The hunting practice means that he'll sit absolutely still for a few seconds and stare at my boob, before opening his mouth as wide as he can... Then he throws himself forward and bears down on it as if it was his prey. After a couple of swallows he lets go and starts over...
The wrestling practice involves using both hands to push my boob back and forth, while at the same time trying to keep the nipple in his mouth, which of course means that he'll lose it more often than not. Then he loses his mind trying to find it again.
I'm beginning to worry about him not eating enough and, not sleeping enough for that matter. All that waking up to eat is not suppose to be good for him.
I'm aware of that the articles on the subject, at for example Baby Center, say that that shouldn't be the reason for starting with solids, but our nurse is of another opinion. According to her we should try to get him to eat hot cereal before he goes to bed, so that he'll sleep all night. She said that he was old enough not to eat at night a month ago.
I don't care about that. I'll let him eat at night for as long as he wants to, as long as he gets enough sleep, but there was another reason as well, which was that I was curious...Yep, there it is...
Solids are fun and, I've been looking forward to finding out what he'll like. More over, if he's anything like his brother, it'll take time to get him use to the new texture, so unless we want to wait until he's 9 months before he'll eat a meal without spitting all of it out, we've better start trying a little bit now.
More importantly, trying just a little doesn't mean that I'll exchange any of his nursing time yet. I still want him to have breast milk as his main source for nourishment, but a spoonfull of mashed carrots, potatos or the like isn't going to change that.
Here's how it went the first time:
No comments:
Post a Comment